THE FLATLEY DRYER

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: THE FLATLEY DRYER

Post by Stanley » 12 Aug 2018, 02:30

Nice! I was ink monitor once but it was decided I should never have the job again as I was too messy!
We had posh desks at Hope Memorial because there was a brass slide that covered the inkwell when it was not in use.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf » 12 Aug 2018, 06:24

That has stirred a few memories! I remember dividing up the sheets of blotting paper and handing them out and I can feel what it was like to slide back one of those brass covers, so we must have had posh desks too! I would have thought that we only used fountain pens but the memories of inkwells and dip pens are strong so perhaps that was at junior school and the fountain pens came later at the grammar school.
We definitely had slate boards and chalk to practice our writing in the infant school.

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker » 12 Aug 2018, 09:42

Inkwells at Gisburn Road were just the little white ceramic jobs. Desks had a pencil channel along the top above the hinge line. I think last year at Juniors was when cartridge pens became popular. I remember feeling very grown up when I got one of those (Platinum), you could get cartridges with black ink as well! Later still I had a proper fillable fountain pen with the rubber reservoir and the tiny brass pumping lever on the side. All kitted out with that stuff and then just into secondary school ballpoints became the weapon of choice.
Ian

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley » 13 Aug 2018, 02:21

I had a lovely Swan fountain pen. It had a gold nib with an Iridium tip.... Never used the school ink in it because it clogged them up. Always Quink.
What was the name of the newsagents on the Square before Singh took it over? He used to repair fountain pens in the 1950s and 60s......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker » 13 Aug 2018, 08:14

Nutters, Fred and his dad before him.
Ian

Tripps

Post by Tripps » 13 Aug 2018, 21:02

Is this him? Hope so it's taken me half the evening to find this photo. smile:
Fred Nutter.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Born to be mild. . .

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker » 13 Aug 2018, 21:18

Yes that's Fred and his wife Linda.
Ian

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley » 14 Aug 2018, 02:39

Yup, that's him. I can remember when they were on Rainhall Road.....
I have it in my mind that half the shop on the Square used to be the PO, is that right?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker » 14 Aug 2018, 08:11

Yes, I think it was there until the new P.0. buildings were built. I can just remember the the wooden buildings and hoardings on that corner before the new build.Come to think of it, it was at the same time as Holy Trinity was being built.
Ian

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley » 15 Aug 2018, 04:13

That's my memory as well...... I also have an idea that Sneath had a barber's shop in what became Nutter's on the Square. This of course was in the days when the Central Cooperative building was still there and it was Albert Road.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker » 15 Aug 2018, 07:47

Yes it was Sneaths barbers, I used to go to Jim Browns on the first block on Gisburn Road, next to Alan Lea's veg shop where we used to get bags of pea pods. :smile:
Ian

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley » 16 Aug 2018, 04:07

Did Sneath use to have his shop in what is now the laundromat in Park Road? Or was that another barber. That was where I bought my cut-throat razor and strop...... Before that I used to have a Rolls Razor, a clever thing that you could sharpen automatically and then strop it in it's own case. The army made me hide it and substitute an ordinary safety razor in my kit display, they didn't like the idea of a squaddy having a more expensive razor than most of the officers.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley » 16 Aug 2018, 04:09

Did Sneath use to have his shop in what is now the laundromat in Park Road? Or was that another barber. That was where I bought my cut-throat razor and strop...... Before that I used to have a Rolls Razor, a clever thing that you could sharpen automatically and then strop it in it's own case. The army made me hide it and substitute an ordinary safety razor in my kit display, they didn't like the idea of a squaddy having a more expensive razor than most of the officers.....

Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley » 17 Aug 2018, 03:30

Does anyone remember the magnetic gizmos you could buy to straighten the edge out on your safety razor blade overnight to prolong it's life?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke » 17 Aug 2018, 03:37

Stanley wrote:
17 Aug 2018, 03:30
Does anyone remember the magnetic gizmos you could buy to straighten the edge out on your safety razor blade overnight to prolong it's life?
Never used them but I remember them. There was also a pyramid shaped device that was supposed to resharpen your blade edge by just being placed on the blade.

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley » 17 Aug 2018, 06:28

:good:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley » 18 Aug 2018, 03:36

At one time we had itinerant knife-grinders.

Here's an Italian example. These died off during the war years and I have never seen one since then. However, when I was working in Rochdale I came across a man who had his van fitted up with the appropriate equipment and went round hotels and restaurants where he reset the edges on their knives, something that needs doing occasionally after prolonged use of the steel or strop.

Here's the Gotta razor I bought off Mr Sneath. Note the lump missing from the edge caused by one of my daughters using it to sharpen a pencil! However, what I want you to see is the design of the blade. The heavy back ensures that when setting the edge on a fine stone, if pressed flat, the back ensures the correct angle of the edge after honing. They needed doing about every three months of daily use during which stropping on a leather strop kept the edge in good order. You dressed the strop with jeweller's rouge which is very fine iron oxide in a fatty body, it acts like lapping paste.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Nostalgia”