MEDICAL MATTERS

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: MEDICAL MATTERS

Post by Tizer »

If it was real influenza you were probably unlucky and got a strain that wasn't included in that year's vaccine. Or it could have been a very severe strain of the common cold - real influenza is so powerful and nasty that we tend to forget there are some very bad cold strains filling the gaps between real flu and the everyday cold.

Talking of flu, I read yesterday that the worst `plague' in known human history was the 1918 influenza epidemic. I probably would have guessed the worst plague was one of those that happened centuries ago, like the Black Death, but when you think about it the world population was very small then so there were fewer people to die. The number of people who died in the 1918 epidemic is probably greater than the number of people present on the planet in those earlier centuries.
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Apart from a very slight sore arm for a day, I have had no after effects at all after my jab. Mind you since roughly the middle of September I first had a belter of a cold which I am fairly sure came from youngest (9 months) grandson. The tail end of that developed into what I recognised (fortunately), as the pre-cursor to what could have developed into a repeat performance of my peritonsilar abcess that I had lots of fun :sad: with a few years back. Fortunately the doctor agreed with my early diagnosis and put me on antibiotics which did the trick. When I had my flu jab I probably had so many antibodies on the go in me that any attempt for the flue jab to bring me down would have been given short shrift.
If I did''t get the jab on the grounds of my wife's compromised immune system, I would gladly pay for it. We both had a dose of genuine viral influenza late 1999 and into the millennium. I lost 2.5 stone in the 15 days that it took to run it's course. It was around March before we put the weight back on and felt fully recovered. Nasty, and not something that I ever want to experience again.
Ian
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

The flu vaccine contains dead virus material. It can't multiply and therefore can't infect you but your immune system recognises it and produces antibodies which remain in your blood and give the protection. The body mounts a minor defence against what it thinks is real virus which is why you tend to get some `cold' type symptoms after the jab.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Tiz, I suspect you're right about flu versus severe cold but I had all the flu symptoms. I had Asian Flue in 1957/58 and Ian is right, it was a bummer! As for worse pandemic. It's all relative of course, the Spanish Lady was undoubtedly bad but most historians agree that the Black Death killed approximately a third of populations it affected and don't forget that the 14th century outbreak was only one of it's incarnations. Try looking at Barnoldswick, story of a Pennine town (LINK) and do a search for bubonic.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Tardis

Post by Tardis »

my new medication is kicking in...bleugh!
Sunray10
Regular User

Post by Sunray10 »

I remember reading about the plague wiping out virtually the whole village of Eyam in Derbyshire. Terrible thing when it gets going. Probably down to rats spreading the infection. :sad:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

You might be interested in the articles I did on the Black Death, they're on the site.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Over the years I have been very handy with advice for people with bad knees to lose weight and take the pressure off them. I've decided I should take my own advice. I'm not 'dieting', just eating less and it's working....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

I agree 100% with losing weight for knee and hip pain, Stanley.
Febby's knees are sore after being up and down the ladder painting ceilings on Friday and Saturday. ( and he is constantly on a diet!)
EileenDavid
Avid User

Post by EileenDavid »

Dave has bad knees, he was a joiner so lifting doors etc tells now. He swears by his Manuka honey must be more than 10+ for his knees as it seems to be working. I agree with the theory that loosing weight does relieve the pressure on the knees. Eileen
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

My only other advice ( besides reducing weight) is to never stop moving.
As soon as you sit like a bag of spuds, you are doomed. Use it or lose it.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

A lot of truth in that Maz. I make sure I have my walks and also pay a lot of attention to my chairs. A bad chair that encourages slouching is no use at all.
Tip for anyone with bad knees. Come downstairs backwards, very safe and you could be surprised, coming downstairs forward puts a lot of pressure on knees. I learned that one years ago after spending eight hours down a coal mine where you couldn't stand upright. Don't ever try it!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

EileenDavid
Avid User

Post by EileenDavid »

Stanley have you tried that Volterol rub. Dave was scheptical about it when he was given some to try. What with the honey and the Volterol he's not needed any painkillers for months. Eileen
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Voltarol is a painkiller. Active ingredient is diclofenac. It's a "non steroidal anti inflamatory drug" - also available also in tablet form.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

After my experience with non-inflammatories earlier this year I don't take any pain killers. Knees are gradually improving, amazing what losing a bit of weight can do! I've only lost about 2lbs to date but I can feel a difference. Of course it may be all in my head!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tardis

Post by Tardis »

New Consultant, same questions again :sad:

No pre bloods, no new information, so refused to have bloods done in clinic :grin:
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

We have a young plumber working for us at present and it's really his father's business, but unfortunately dad was diagnosed as having Type 2 diabetes, given metformin to take and his kidneys promptly failed. He's now on dialysis and the son's frantically trying to do dad's work as well as his own!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Perhaps they were dodgy in the first place? Haven't noticed any trouble with mine but I can now worry about them!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

It could be pure coincidence of course or, as you say, he might have had a minor and undetected kidney problem.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The Health Protection agency reports that there could be as many as 25,000 people in the UK infected by HIV but not aware of it. I'm reminded of the lady doctor who said she tested all her patients with unexplained recurrent problems for HIV and had found that some had a low level infection but weren't aware of it. Problem is that people are frightened of the stigma of asking for a test.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Stanley wrote:HIV...Problem is that people are frightened of the stigma of asking for a test.
There is another possible reason. They might be frightened of having an HIV test even if they expect a negative outcome because insurance companies might pick up on it and refuse them health insurance or push up premiums, or it might affect in other ways such as in a job application. I don't know if it's still the case but in the 1990s doctors warned anyone asking for a test that it could negatively influence their insurance etc.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I hadn't thought of that. It wouldn't help would it!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

In the mid eighties, I tried for a job in Saudi Arabia. I got it actually, but withdrew during the proceedings when amongst many other condition, an Aids test was required. Remember when this first happened doctors were refusing to do postmortems, and bodies were quickly cremated - as I recall. The fact that you had a test barred you from future insurance.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Thanks for confirming that Tripps, I'd thought that insurance companies were barring people who'd been tested but wasn't sure whether my memory was accurate so I was a bit vague about it above.
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

When I was working as a blood sister, it was commonplace for insurance companies to request HIV tests....for both Life Insurance and Income Protection Insurance. ( personally, I think it is wrong).

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”