MEDICAL MATTERS

Tripps
VIP Member

Re: MEDICAL MATTERS

Post by Tripps »

This seems to be a fairly low key launch Covid Spring 'vaccine' boosters.

Form an orderley queue now. . . . :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Thanks for the heads up David! I shall only bother if it's free and available in walking distance.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

A couple of days ago while I was reducing my shaft stock in the shed a red hot chip landed on my lip and welded on. Painful but what has followed is that it has triggered off my first cold sore for years. Of course, like any other sufferer I had a tiny tube of Zofirax in the cupboard and it is working well to dry the sore up and eliminate it.
I can never remember what the necessary precursors are that make you liable to cold sores but they are a nuisance!
If any of you are also prone to them you have my sympathy!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

I've booked my Covid vaccination for Monday. :smile:
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

I've been for another physio appointment, that 5ft slip of a girl can certainly inflict some pain :biggrin2:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Medical stuff started for me at 4.30am this morning. Not me but the realisation that Sally had fallen down the stairs shortly after getting up to go to the loo!

I heard the crash and a roaring noise which turned out to be the Shark vaccuum cleaner that she had landed on at the bottom of the stairs which she had managed to turn on during the crash. She never turns the light on for the trip to the bathroom and it would seem that she fainted at the top of the stair and then slid from the top to the bottom after the collapse. Sally has low blood pressure and some history of random faints. When I got down to her she was wet through and in a cold sweat, no blood and no bones poking out so I extracted her from the vac as she started to recover. She was resposive but a bit confused as to what happened but said she felt weak at the top of the stair when it all kicked off. I nipped back up and got a cold flannel to wipe her face with. She had movement so I helped her into a sitting position with her head between her knees. She was becoming more lucid all the time so I checked her legs arms and head, all seemed OK. She could stand after about 5 minutes so I helped her up to the bathroom and from their back into the bedroom and new nightie, back into bed but but propped up. She was fully alert by then so I parked the urge to call for the paramedics. I staid awake for the next hour and kept my eye on her sleeping. Alarm went off at 6.55 as usual and we both awoke at the same time. I went in the shower first then got dressed before supervising her shower. She said she had pain down the right side of her ribcage, and her right knee felt a bit wobbly, top of her right foot also a bit tender.

Thought it best to take her to A&E rather than try to get an appointment at the surgery which would probably only delay matters. We had a bit of breakfast and a brew and then went on to Airedale it was just after 11am when we checked in. Reception gave her a red wristband which from experience usually indicates a priority case. Waiting area was half full but we only had to wait 5 minutes before she was called to triage. Basic obs and full description of the circumstance. Nurse decided to fit a Cannula in case the Docs wanted an MRI, she took bloods and hooked her up for an EKG which turned out OK, she gave her a couple of Paracetamol as a basic analgesic, we went back to the waiting area. Again only about 5 minutes and we were scooped up by Doctor Kate, who I have to say was very thorough. She took us through to an AAU bay and helped Sally into a gown so she could have a good look at her. Full examination of all limbs, which showed pain to the lower ribcage, possible damage to the right knee and also the top of the right foot. Visibly, everything else OK. She was fairly amazed at her condition for someone who had fallen down a full set of stairs, but said that the faint probably contributed to that as she would got top to bottom limp, much better than trying to stop yourself if you are lucid. Out then into the centre of the AAU which has much comfier chairs waiting to be called up to XRay. Dinner trolley and catering staff were in the unit and spotted Sally's wristband so she got some dinner after checking with the doctors that it was OK, Sally had fish fingers and chips. DR Kate kept popping back to update us on what was going on. More obs from one of the nurses. It was about 1.30 when we were taken up to XRay, already a few waiting so we had about 20 minutes to wait before she was called through. Xrays took about 10 minutes as they had to do three different ones. DR Kate had all she needed now apart from the blood results, she had run the notes past her lead consultant who agreed that as long as the blood results came back OK she could be discharged to home. Bloods came back clear 20 minutes later and DR Kate appeared again with discharge medication and notes, Codeine based pain killers, an anti Inflammatory and a once a day gastro tab to protect her gut from the anti inflammatory if she needed to take that one. She did say that she may get by with just the analgesic. She also said that if she had any concerns or if any painful area got worse to come straight back. Important to be able to take full breath to avoid infection in the lungs.

We were back home for just after 3pm. Sally was lucky and I have told her she has to put the light on if she goes to the loo in the night. I think I will look for some proximity triggered LEDS for on the landing skirting.

One thing to note also for Airedale Car Parking. It is now ANPR controlled, no barrier tokens to collect. You get scanned on the approach to the barrier which lets you in. On exit you have to put your registration number in the payment terminal and it calculates the charge from when you arrived. Shove the money in, notes, coins or by card. Return to car and drive out, barrier lets you go if you have paid your dues. First 15 minutes is free which is handy if you are straight in and out.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Bloody Hell Ian! That was an interesting morning. As you know I'm very aware of the dangers of stairs and yes, my bathroom door is opposite the top of the stairs and I am always very wary in that area. She'll have some aches and pains for a few days no doubt but hopefully nothing worse.
So glad to hear she has been lucky please give her my love and best wishes. Tell her Stanley says she has to be very kind to herself for at least a week! :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Ian, gosh what a thing to happen, poor Sally, I hope she is on the mend.
Maybe a Child / Pet Gate at the top of the stairs. 🤔
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That thought passed through my mind Cathy, for my stairs top, not Ian's.
I have had a text from Well, they are taking bookings for the Covid Booster. I shall call in and book it.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

What a night! I'm glad to hear it ended with relatively little damage to Sally. In a similar situation my mother fainted at the top of the stairs on a visit to the loo but fortunately she slumped down and didn't roll off the edge. Nevertheless it gave her a nasty fright and prompted us to help them shift to a bungalow with no stairs.
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

I saw a picture of Sally's fish finger tea on Facebook. I hope she's not too badly damaged, she has my sympathy with the lower ribs.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

How is Sally now she has had time to settle down?
You deserve an easy day as well Ian. I see you took your ease on the bus to Skipton.
I shall call in at Well when I go veggie shopping. They are booking Covid Booster jabs. I said I'd partake if it was in walking distance!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Aching in various parts but she has the medication to take the edge off. Doctor at the hospital said it would take a few weeks to abate.
Ian
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Cathy wrote: 17 Apr 2024, 06:15 Maybe a Child / Pet Gate at the top of the stairs. 🤔
I think those gates are too low, Cathy. An adult walking into it by mistake or falling over on it would probably tumble over it and down the stairs.
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Fair enough, put two in, one above the other. 🤔
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Fair enough, put two in, one above the other. 🤔
This site is responding very slowly at the moment.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I have booked my Covi9d Booster at Well Pharmacy on 6th May.
Yes, site is still slow Cathy.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

This from the House of Commons is worth looking at. I think Doctor Nurse John Campbell has become a bit obsessive and a bit too prolific lately, and has had people on his channel with less than ideal provenance.
That said - if you wish to - take a look at some, or all of it. Then think for yourself, and accept or reject it.

Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

I came across a "Community Matron" recently. It seems they are some sort of District Nurse, but can diagnose and prescribe drugs. I'd never heard of them and find they are Band 7, and are paid between £43 - £63k which seems higher than that for some 'Junior Doctors'. Are they new, and a further step in dumbing down the health service - see also Physicians Assistants - or is just a new name for an existing nurse?
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

I have seen the Physicians Associate twice at our surgery. OK but they can't prescribe anything only suggest. Not heard of Community Matron though, any relation to the old District Nurses perhaps?
Ian
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

See here for more info Community Matron

I have mixed feelings. Sometimes I would think an experienced nurse would be better than a newly qualified doctor, but even Physicians Associates are not allowed to prescribe, so I get the feeling that it is another step in the direction of dumbing down. Can't wait for apprenticeships for doctors. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Like you David I am not happy about the introduction of these new grades of medical assistants. I have no objection to better paid nurses who have more qualifications. What I object to is that we are being told that these new grades are the equivalent of doctors. Like you I get the impression that health care is being dumbed down because that is the cheaper way to do it.
(Incidentally, in case this is the only post I get to make, the site is dreadfully slow.)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

I have just dug a bit deeper, and find that the "Community Matron" is not described as such on the practice website. There she is called an "Advanced Nurse Practitioner", and "Diabetes Nurse". Looks like the website has not caught up with the latest reorganisation. I remain a bit concerned at the 'diagnose and prescribe' thing, when not under the direct control of the GP.

I heard of this on the radio, but struggled to find it on the interwebthingy.
Trigger warning - the Daily Mail was the only place I could find it.

Update and introduction of AI to NHS Patient Application

Sounds very disturbing, and I shall not be joining. Worrying thing is you can only be so rebellious before they tell you to 'sling your hook' :smile: I'm sure though that there'll be sufficient popular outcry against it for me not to have to worry.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Just been in the CAT Scanner again in the car park at Asda. For the follow up to the first one I had in January in the Lung Health Check program. I was the first one on after lunch, 2 passes in the scanner, all done in 5 minutes. :smile:
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Good stuff 👍 I presume results are fairly quick as it's part of a 'program', my annual MRI results were 8 weeks coming back.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”