WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Re: WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

Post by Whyperion »

Short People need to eat less , it times of food shortages - eat the tall people ?

Co-op recycling bit , looks like they gave up yesterday, as stump of fence post still in-situ.

Painting around the Town , The Barlick getting spruced up around the Window Frames , The letting agency opposite a coat or two of paint on the woodwork, I painted my coal house internal door purple (was black and I could not see a thing - needs a bit of a rub down and a second coat but no time to do this weekend now ) , and The Greyhound now has nice (grey background) sign painted information boards , 4 I think - No name board as yet but the A Frame is also nicely chalked up )
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Whyperion wrote:Short People need to eat less , it times of food shortages - eat the tall people ?
You leave us tall people alone :laugh5:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

Err , my son is 6ft something ( long bones I think ).
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Not sure if I have already posted this. The Calf Hall Shed Company minute books are safe at LRO Preston and the accession number is "DDX 1291 ACC 11213. An entry for these records will appear on LANCAT, our online catalogue in due course under this number."
Another task off my back! Down to the researchers now.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Tardis

Post by Tardis »

The daffs I got from House of Flowers for free to celebrate Gail's 20 years of business in the town went from buds to fully open trumpets after leaving for 24 hours in water.

Very colourful, and much appreciated
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

This arrived in my inbox from Canada this morning:-

Checking out at the store, the young cashier suggested to the older woman, that she should bring her own grocery bags because plastic bags weren't good for the environment.

The woman apologized and explained, "We didn't have this green thing back in my earlier days."

The clerk responded, "That's our problem today. Your generation did not care enough to save our environment for future generations."

She was right -- our generation didn't have the green thing in its day.

Back then, we returned milk bottles, soda bottles and beer bottles to the store. The store sent them back to the plant to be washed and sterilized and refilled, so it could use the same bottles over and over. So they really were recycled. But we didn't have the green thing back in our day.

Grocery stores bagged our groceries in brown paper bags, that we reused for numerous things, most memorable besides household garbage bags, was the use of brown paper bags as book covers for our school books. This was to ensure that public property, (the books provided for our use by the school) was not defaced by our scribbling’s. Then we were able to personalize our books. But too bad we didn't do the green thing back then.

We walked up stairs, because we didn't have an escalator in every store and office building. We walked to the grocery store and didn't climb into a 300-horsepower machine every time we had to go two blocks. But she was right. We didn't have the green thing in our day.

Back then, we washed the baby's diapers because we didn't have the throw-away kind. We dried clothes on a line, not in an energy gobbling machine burning up 220 volts -- wind and solar power really did dry our clothes back in our early days. Kids got hand-me-down clothes from their brothers or sisters, not always brand-new clothing. But that young lady is right; we didn't have the green thing back in our day.

Back then, we had one TV, or radio, in the house -- not a TV in every room. And the TV had a small screen the size of a handkerchief (remember them?), not a screen the size of the state of Montana. In the kitchen, we blended and stirred by hand because we didn't have electric machines to do everything for us. When we packaged a fragile item to send in the mail, we used wadded up old newspapers to cushion it, not Styrofoam or plastic bubble wrap. Back then, we didn't fire up an engine and burn gasoline just to cut the lawn. We used a push mower that ran on human power. We exercised by working so we didn't need to go to a health club to run on treadmills that operate on electricity. But she's right; we didn't have the green thing back then.

We drank from a fountain when we were thirsty instead of using a cup or a plastic bottle every time we had a drink of water. We refilled writing pens with ink instead of buying a new pen, and we replaced the razor blades in a razor instead of throwing away the whole razor just because the blade got dull. But we didn't have the green thing back then.

Back then, people took the streetcar or a bus and kids rode their bikes to school or walked instead of turning their moms into a 24-hour taxi service. We had one electrical outlet in a room, not an entire bank of sockets to power a dozen appliances. And we didn't need a computerized gadget to receive a signal beamed from satellites 2,000 miles out in space in order to find the nearest burger joint.

But isn't it sad the current generation laments how wasteful we old folks were just because we didn't have the green thing back then?

Please forward this on to another selfish old person who needs a lesson in conservation from a smartass young person.

We don't like being old in the first place, so it doesn't take much to piss us off.
Thomo. RN Retired, but not regretted!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

In a report on James Cameron's dive 11km down to the bottom of the Mariana Trench the reporter said the pressure was 11x atmospheric. He was a little bit out! It's almost 1,100x atmospheric pressure.
One hour power outage in East Hill Street area from 14:45, just in time to prevent me from watching F!. Recorded the later repeat.... Boiled kettle for tea on the Morso Stove.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tardis

Post by Tardis »

Either my side of the street was protected from the power outage or I was asleep.

I don't recall any interruption in the electricity, and I certainly have no recollection of a break in my radio listening as I listen to GQT for the long range forecast
Tardis

Post by Tardis »

A Community Notice Board has appeared on the back of the Rainhall Centre/Library wall.

Quite a large expanse of wood which Cllr Whipp was filling with laminated stuff
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Electricity was off up on the Croft and at David Crossley House. It was quite a large outage according to the YEB customer service desk that a neighbour managed to get through to yesterday.
Ian
Sunray10
Regular User

Post by Sunray10 »

Fuel tanker drivers have voted to go on strike so there could be petrol shortages in the next few weeks. Don't know whether they will strike over the Easter holidays though ? :surprised:
Bradders Bluesinger
Regular User

Post by Bradders Bluesinger »

Just got back in from "Final Inspection ".......
The Moon and Venus being so close attracted my attention ...(Jupiter has sunk below the horizon)...
VERY spectacular !
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Brad. I saw that conjunction , perfectly clear sky.
Michael, your side of EH St is on a different circuit than mine.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

My posting time was an hour behind despite the fact that I had DST (Daylight Saving Time) enabled on my control panel. The cure for me is to switch the DST option off, log out of the panel, log in again and switch it back on. Posting time is now OK.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Just tracked my US book. It has cleared UK customs and has been scanned for delivery. Magic! Tension mounts!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Tardis wrote:A Community Notice Board has appeared on the back of the Rainhall Centre/Library wall. Quite a large expanse of wood which Cllr Whipp was filling with laminated stuff
Is he insulating it? :laugh5:

Down here it was 22 degrees Celsius yesterday but what caught my attention was the unheated conservatory being 20 degrees at 10.00pm!
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

The fire raging against my back yard wall and my neighbours kitchen. It was re-cycling day for cardboard and paper today along with tins and glass. The brown bin was picked up but the card and paper and the plastic boxes used to collect it were not collected and emptied. It was a neighbour from Bessie Street that rang me to say someone had set the whole lot on fire and that she had rung the fire brigade.

By the time I got outside the flames were up to the soffit boards on next doors kitchen and enveloping the lamp post outside our house. I have a hose reel in the yard so I set too damping it down until the lads from the brigade arrived and took over. Seems like it was some idiot(s) as they had also set a bin alight down Valley Gardens. Fire devoured all the paper and card from Bessie Street, Pleasant View and our end of East View along with about 4 plastic bins which did tend to flare up when doused with water. Fire Brigade took a good half hour to full dampen and then clear all the crap from the pavement and street. Wall and pavement is a bit of a mess and will require some remedial work. All because of some brainless idiot.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Good job you were available Ian. Your little hose may have slowed down the fire enough to stop it getting worse before the brigade arrived. As you say, incomprehensible how someone could do such a thing.
Serious outbreak of a very virulent strain if Foot and Mouth disease in Egypt and Libya. No controls in place and the UN veterinary service are very concerned about it spreading.
My book arrived yesterday. Described as water damaged and $1000 cheaper than the next example, it is brand new, never been read and has a slight internal water stain at the bottom of the spine. I've seen worse sold in a bookshop. Someone has slipped up I think. I am a happy bunny.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Enjoy your book. I emailed David Omissi, and asked him what steps he intended to take in order to make his work available at a price that more people could afford. I attached a transcript of earlier exchanges on Oneguy. It was a bit impertinent, and I said to ignore the request if he wanted. He has done so.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

He doesn't reply to my mails either! In fairness, it isn't down to him, it's MUP who are notoriously bad at reprints. Have started into the book and it's paid for itself already, brilliantly clear description of the political infighting in the 1920s and 30s between the War Office who were trying to kill the independent RAF and Trenchard supported by Churchill. Incidentally, I have been in error, it was Trenchard who suggested using the RAF to bring the striking workers to heel not Flt Lt Harris. The RAF were used to drop leaflets on the strikers and to distribute copies of the emergency 'Gazette' and vital communications directing the measures against the strikers.
One other incidental matter. The book has certainly been damp even though the water staining is minimal. As I was reading it I found that the end papers were separating from the cover boards. I stopped reading early yesterday and went into the workshop. A short piece of welding rod and some Cuprinol wood glue was soon inserted in the loose areas. Cramped it up in the vise overnight and this morning it is perfect again.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Bradders Bluesinger
Regular User

Post by Bradders Bluesinger »

Stanley , a technique used by luthiers to repair "open cracks" in wood , without damaging the mating surfaces , is to "saw" a piece of stongish polythene bag into the crack , backward and forward with wood glue*** on it (then withdrawn). That introduces the glue deep into the fracture without disturbing the wood !
Clamped tight to squeeze out the excess and wiped clean with a damp cloth.....works wonders !
(guitar/violin neck breaks are often found , where the finger board and the metal truss rod hold the neck in place , but with the fracture opened up by string tension)
*** Epoxy is ok for joints that are meant to be permanent...otherwise , I think luthiers use pva these days.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The modern glues are indeed marvellous. I used a lot of Cascamite when I was building the old fulling mill artefacts at Helmshore. The same glue used in the Mosquito during the war. Waterproof wood glue. I still have a tin full if anyone wants some.
News this morning that our children are suffering from 'nature deficit' because they spend so little time out of doors. Many can't even identify a magpie. A sad reflection on how we bring them up.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Chrissyp

Post by Chrissyp »

Well I really hope that the Pendle Councillors stick up for the residents of Salterforth like they have for the residents of Horton Lodge in NORTH YORKSHIRE!!! Regarding the wind turbine at Yarlside in Bracewell. We have a small matter of our village being increased by 51 houses.

Re the website I will ask at next meeting.
Thread Killer
Tardis

Post by Tardis »

Colne cllrs last night refused the huge wind farm planning permission
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

My favourite roofers turned up to replace 4 broken slates. All right, they're ugly but they are efficient and very reasonable.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “What, Where, When, We, Who, Look & How”