Today I shall be Mainly...

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Re: Today I shall be Mainly...

Post by PanBiker »

We did three miles around the lanes and fields this afternoon. Not many folk around and no one at all once out in the fields, fantastic day for walking. No problem at all in social distancing.
Ian
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

We are free to walk, maintaining distance, but are being asked to remain in our own suburbs.
This is a good thing, as it means that people can’t raid supermarkets far and wide ( though they still will, because they are much more important than general folk and rules cannot possibly apply to them).
Has anyone else noticed a rise in their anxiety levels? I have. I’m not generally an anxious person, though I do have slight OCD tendencies ( my manifestation ( oh dear that is a bad word...I’m not sure it suits...perhaps presentation would be a better one) is that I tend to check and recheck things...such as the stove being off, the iron being off, even use by dates in the fridge and pantry :laugh5: which is enough to drive me nuts ( but doesn’t affect others of course). Hubby has slight OCD too, and he counts things ( odd things, like how many bricks are in a wall or how many books in a bookshelf).

I’d be interested to know if others have noticed anything with their anxiety levels ( :extrawink: we can’t be the only odd ones!)
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Nothing to do with anxiety Maz but my slight OCD I reckon is that I don't eat square or rectangular toast. I doesn't look right, Once toasted I have to cut it into triangles or rhomboids. I usually start by cutting a corner off then work from there. :smile:

I have no problem with ordinary bread and butter, rectangular is fine, open or folded.
Ian
Christian

Post by Christian »

I've decided to start writing a blog/diary on my daily thoughts during these odd times. I guess it takes up some of the free time on an evening and hopefully share some information that I find interesting..

Guess it might be handy to others to keep a diary on this?
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

PanBiker wrote: 22 Mar 2020, 23:21 Nothing to do with anxiety Maz but my slight OCD I reckon is that I don't eat square or rectangular toast. I doesn't look right, Once toasted I have to cut it into triangles or rhomboids. I usually start by cutting a corner off then work from there. :smile:

I have no problem with ordinary bread and butter, rectangular is fine, open or folded.
As a little boy my son would decide every morning if it was “squares” or “triangles” today! Used to get awfully upset if I made the choice for him. And if he had Jazt and Cheese, he had to have 10. ( which was a problem if there was only 8 left in the darn packet).

Message for Wendy. Our bottle shop is closed from this morning. Our supermarkets don’t sell alcohol. We were only assured last night that bottle shops would remain open...we were driving past this morning and called in because the manager had told us last week that he had some wine put aside for us. As it happens he spotted us and opened up just for us and locked the door afterwards, so we did get a dozen wine...but they are now closed for the “duration”. We wished him luck and said “see you on the other side”. ( what a nice man). And serendipitous that we were passing by just at that moment.

A diary sounds like a plan, Christian.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Glad you got the wine Maz. No problems doing our daily walks, hardly a soul about anyway.
Washing and cooking knocked the shed out yesterday. Today I have the sheepskin off the rocking chair in the wash as it looks like another good drying day. I should get in the shed.
Having no problems at all with boredom. Only worry I have is hoping daughters and grandchildren don't get it. It makes me sad they are threatened but that soon passes.
KBO!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Oh yes I am anxious and last night quite depressed. Today will be first online pilates session with my reacher in Rochdale, but I think with all the kids doing online learning the line will be too slow to connect. We often lose connection.

Then its wood shredding today. At last its sunny again. I think Bob will cut the lawn before doing more track building
If you keep searching you will find it
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Keep your chin up Sue. I've seen all this before and survived. Just think, you haven't got the Luftwaffe to worry about in bed tonight!
I have made my decision and am going to cancel tomorrow's appointment at Airedale. It's not urgent enough to risk the exposure to other people that is involved. I didn't want to do it but I've thought it through seriously.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

It is not just about the stress of war, Stanley, which I do understand and fully appreciate, truly I do.
But people of my age, who went through the stresses of interest rates reaching 18% on home loans in the late 1980’s, when they were working their guts out and getting nowhere, marriages failing, then trying to reconfigure their lives as single parents...gosh...one has to feel for those suddenly hitting a brick wall now.
Yes they can get through.
But it changes people. It changed me. But we spared our kids that anxiety I think ( can only go on what my adult son tells me in that he remembers nothing much about that stress).
But this new challenge will end many families.
Like our situation, this is not a fault of their making, but I truly think it will end good relationships with job losses and new found poverty.
Love flies out the window...
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Stanley wrote: 22 Mar 2020, 03:43 My shed must be one of the safest places on the planet! Hostile environment for viruses and I always wear gloves.
Unfortunately not true Stanley. Lots of hard surfaces and hard to sanitise nooks and crannies. The virus has a survival rate of 9 days on hard surfaces and up to 28 days in cooler conditions. Good that you wear gloves though.
Ian
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

But who else will be touching things in Stanley's Shed?
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Wendyf wrote: 23 Mar 2020, 11:13 But who else will be touching things in Stanley's Shed?
Good point...
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Indeed, but the plethora of hard surfaces is what I was alluding to. There is a glitter analogy on FB which is one of the best examples of explaining unintended spread of the virus.

Glitter.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

I took a 3 pint glass jug to the pub next door and bought some beer last night, it went down very well with our chicken curry.

2m social distancing was observed (there was only me and the landlady) and hands were sanitised once I got back home. There are some of us taking this seriously, unfortunately there are quite a lot who aren't. There really is only one option left open...
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Did you sanitise the jug handle, your change, your wallet, your keys, your door knob? It’s getting ridiculous.
Don’t forget petrol bowsers, eftpos machines ...
Last edited by Cathy on 23 Mar 2020, 12:24, edited 1 time in total.
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Marilyn wrote: 23 Mar 2020, 10:14 It is not just about the stress of war, Stanley, which I do understand and fully appreciate, truly I do.
And your enemy was human then, you knew who they were and what they looked like. Sir Jeremy Farrer who heads SAGE (UK Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies) has pointed out that this is the worst pandemic the world has seen. It has gone farther, faster than any previous one, partly due to the way we live our lives today and in spite of all the modern medical and technical advances.
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

That was a fun pilates session once we got it set up. It was great to laugh and chat with my pilates friends and teachers. More lessons during the week which we will pay for, plus online video sessions we can drop into. It has to work its Tiaras lively hood. I suggested she advertises it online. She could get quite a following and still have an income
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Ian, I know all those things but the point is that nobody else but me ever touches anything in the shed and when I do I am wearing single use plastic gloves. So my claim is valid!
I shall be in the shed today, I missed yesterday because I was very busy on other matters. I consider myself very lucky that I have the shed!

I step through the door from the kitchen and all cares evaporate and there is no danger in this house of boredom!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

I could do a lot of damage fiddling about in there, Stanley.
I worked up the enthusiasm to clean out my linen cupboard. Might do my wardrobe tomorrow...
I also did some light gardening, but very light, as I can’t afford to be in pain at the moment.
Oh...highlight of the day was putting the bin out. We still went for a walk. A couple of cars passed us but apart from that we did not encounter humans, mutant or otherwise.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

"I could do a lot of damage fiddling about in there, Stanley."
I've been known to do exactly that Maz! Remember when I tried to cut my finger off? Anything that can cut steel like butter thinks nothing of human flesh and bone!
Keeping busy with household tasks is good for you. The enemy is the boredom that will overwhelm many because they have no imagination.
I've just had my walk and as soon as the Cathedral of Choice opens I shall go for milk.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

They just had two 4 litre bottles of Organic semi-skimmed so I got one. I saw an old farmer mate of mine and we commented on how stupid it was to stock-pile milk.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Good healthy food, :surprised:

Do air fryers cause cancer?
Not only does air frying still run the risk of creating acrylamides, but polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons and heterocyclic amines can result from all high-heat cooking with meat. These compounds have associations with cancer risk, according to the National Cancer Institute. :sad:

Posted in the wrong slot. Fat finger strikes again.
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Plaques, I am going to peel you off the ceiling now and get you to re-breathe into a paper bag...things should calm down in a moment or two...
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Plus, I only cooked French Fries in the air-fryer....not meat.
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

plaques wrote: 24 Mar 2020, 07:39 Good healthy food, :surprised:

Do air fryers cause cancer?
Not only does air frying still run the risk of creating acrylamides, but polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons and heterocyclic amines can result from all high-heat cooking with meat. These compounds have associations with cancer risk, according to the National Cancer Institute. :sad:
Now thats a cheerful thought

More gardening today, next time we go to the supermarket I have decided to throw some seeds in the trolley. Flowers for my garden pots and perhaps some veggie now we are definitely here for the long haul. The advice yesterday was for all Britains to get home ASAP. (A chance would be a fine thing.) we wondered why, was there something we should know. We checked on the Government website and it still said don’t travel unless essential. It's not really an option, 7 hours drive to the tunnel then 6 hours on the other side,risky hotel stay, public toilets, and very little hand sanitiser. We still haven’t managed to buy any. So we decided it was not essential and to stay put. We weighed up all the pros and cons and decided it was not really a feasible choice. On a plus the garden is looking good :laugh5:

My prescription for medication is still stuck at the pharmacist in Rochdale. They have been so inundated with repeat requests they are closing 4 hours a day to try and get them filled. Apparently ours were sent to the main shop somewhere and have not yet come back, Royal mail has said it will then take 5 days in the post to here. Bob has a months supply with him, mine was less as I didn’t have a months supply to bring. I shall start having to ration the less essential tablets soon. Luckily none are essential to life, but certainly make it more comfortable! It's the asthma medication I really want

Remember stay positive, be cheerful and keep busy.....all so important

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”