ENERGY MATTERS

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Re: ENERGY MATTERS

Post by Big Kev »

Communication from E.ON this morning, combined increase of £23.77 a month.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Big Kev wrote: 22 Sep 2022, 08:09 Communication from E.ON this morning, combined increase of £23.77 a month.
Kev that's only £284 a year, a mere bagatelle, You must be well below the average usage to enjoy such a small increase. Nothing new from Octopus yet so I'm still working on their previous estimate of £550 per year increase. :sad:
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

plaques wrote: 22 Sep 2022, 08:48
Big Kev wrote: 22 Sep 2022, 08:09 Communication from E.ON this morning, combined increase of £23.77 a month.
Kev that's only £284 a year, a mere bagatelle, You must be well below the average usage to enjoy such a small increase. Nothing new from Octopus yet so I'm still working on their previous estimate of £550 per year increase. :sad:
Indeed, most of the increase is for electric. It's a small house.
Screenshot_20220922-095446_Gmail.jpg
The monthly amount does take into account the £400 from the government.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Rees Mogg announces the resumption of fracking licences and a review of allowable seismic disturbance levels....
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

British Gas sent me an update on my expected consumption and bills. I was surprised by how reasonable the figures are. If they are right I shall not have a lot of pain......
(Mind you, it would be nice if they took some money off me. I suspect despite all the 'chats' I am back on a quarterly account!)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Stanley wrote: 22 Sep 2022, 02:32 Ian, I know I can swap if I want to but I reckon now is not the time.....
What's the reasoning behind that though? Switching supplier is an easy process and you'll both benefit from some free money.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

Big Kev wrote: 22 Sep 2022, 08:56
plaques wrote: 22 Sep 2022, 08:48
Indeed, most of the increase is for electric. It's a small house.
Screenshot_20220922-095446_Gmail.jpg

The monthly amount does take into account the £400 from the government.
Nice to put your bill onto someone elses future earnings ! ( same for mum though ). Not seen the £150 for the crumbly people in the bank account yet
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Kev, better the devil you know.... :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Following the notification, from Eon; that my monthly DD would be increasing by £23.77 it seems I misunderstood their communication. An update, on the app, shows the DD is being reduced to £23.77 a month. It looks like they have applied the £67 monthly government money to my account and reduced my DD, by that amount, plus a £10 increase to take into account the new rate. This will make my combined energy costs less than I was paying before the shit hit the fan a year ago. I have emailed them to put the elec DD back to £80 a month, if the account is in credit come January I will ask for it back.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

EDF have done things the other way round. Increased the DD, and promised to send the £67 ish back at the start of each month by bank transfer.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I shall send BG a gas meter reading on Saturday and then on Monday, as usual, ask them why they haven't taken a monthly payment from me.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Whyperion

Post by Whyperion »

typical usage " Currently the price cap is £1,971 a year for typical usage, and this will rise to £2,500 in October (as in from Saturday"
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Whyperion wrote: 30 Sep 2022, 08:12 typical usage " Currently the price cap is £1,971 a year for typical usage, and this will rise to £2,500 in October (as in from Saturday"
The good old 'Typical' comes in useful some times. A small house is typically £1400 and a detached typically £3500. It all boils down to the more you use the more you pay.
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

After earlier shenanigans with direct debits I have found a screen, deep in the bowels of the E.on app, which allows me to amend it myself. All sorted and back to £80 again :good:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I've sent the gas meter reading, all I can do. I am still waiting for them to take some money out of the Direct Debit.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Octopus sent an e-mail with a NEW chart of my expected usage overlaid on my monthly payments. Started in credit, dipped during the winter then rising again in summer back to credit. Looking carefully at it I realised it was last years usage. How this is going to help with next years charges with a new direct debit I've yet to figure?
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

More information on the app this morning. Gas price increase needs to be £20 a month, account is £250 in credit so no immediate rush.

Meanwhile at work, price increase 'traffic' is going well so far but I'm sure making positive comments like that will summon the four horsemen of the apocalypse :biggrin2:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Green parties have done well on the Continent so perhaps ours will begin to gather more supporters. The party's co-leader Adrian Ramsay said oil and gas companies were "flourishing" while "families struggle to pay their bills" and he added that money and powers were currently in "all the wrong places", and accused Prime Minister Liz Truss of "doing everything she can to maintain that status quo". Well said, that man! :smile:
`Tax wealthiest 1% to fund home insulation, say Greens' LINK
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Whyperion

Post by Whyperion »

Tizer wrote: 01 Oct 2022, 09:13 Green parties have done well on the Continent so perhaps ours will begin to gather more supporters. The party's co-leader Adrian Ramsay said oil and gas companies were "flourishing" while "families struggle to pay their bills" and he added that money and powers were currently in "all the wrong places", and accused Prime Minister Liz Truss of "doing everything she can to maintain that status quo". Well said, that man! :smile:
`Tax wealthiest 1% to fund home insulation, say Greens' LINK
Labour is neatly moving into the Green Space , effectively, which cuts off all but the most intellectual Greens at Parliamentary Level. I had thought Hastings might follow Brighton in returning a Green Party member , but the massive present dislike of Tories and lack of general not the labour party might reduce the return.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Peter, eventually we will all have to be Green! There is no other logical position.
At the moment politicians like Truss are reaching for short term solutions like fracking and encouraging exploitation of new oil and gas fields to get them off the hook they find themselves hung on. Fracking in particular looks almost innocuous when compared to coal or oil, it can be presented as the only way to survive the global shortage of gas, exploit your own. (You were going to burn it anyway!)
I'm sure that companies like Quadrilla are buzzing with anticipation but keeping quiet until they see which way the political cat jumps.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

See THIS BBC report that the owners of Drax Power Station are guilty of felling old growth forests in Canada. There are also the other concerns about Drax which receives government subsidy as 'green energy' but which environmentalists have always said was not green but damaging using and producing more CO2 than when the station was coal-fired.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Eon's prices are in
Screenshot_20221003-183026_Chrome.jpg
20221003_183117.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

See THIS BBC report of the latest pronouncement from Rees Mogg....
Business Secretary Jacob Rees-Mogg has said he would welcome shale gas fracking in his back garden after a ban on the contentious process was lifted. He told a Tory conference event he would be "delighted" to allow fracking, particularly if he got "royalties".
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

This sounds like one of Pluggy's energy ideas! :smile:
`The DIY gadgets that could keep your energy bill down' LINK

On a different level...
`Nuclear fusion plant to be built at West Burton A power station' LINK
`A power station has been chosen to be the site of the UK's, and potentially the world's, first prototype commercial nuclear fusion reactor. Fusion is a potential source of almost limitless clean energy but is currently only carried out in experiments. The government had shortlisted five sites but has picked the West Burton A plant in Nottinghamshire. The plant should be operational by the early 2040s, a UK Atomic Energy Authority (UKAEA) spokesman has said. The government had pledged more than £220m for the STEP (Spherical Tokamak for Energy Production) programme, led by the UKAEA. '...
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

I'm sure I'm just being a bit thick here but, the £400 government handout, to help with energy costs, is being paid out to consumers via their electricity account. The communication from Eon says 'Fixed Direct Debit customers will receive the money automatically as a deduction to their monthly Direct Debit'.
Eon reduced my DD by £66 (I have since put this back up to what it was) but this has reduced the surplus I had built up by £66. I am going to have to make an additional payment or I will be in debit before Christmas. I must be missing something somewhere.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”