Donor

Re: GOOD TV

Post by MickBrett »

We have just finished watching this mini series and thought it was good

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt13323596/
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

We binged all that series as well Mick. Strange looking at the police side of events that you have lived through.

Literally a catalogue of errors. All the evidence in plain view but no facility to cross reference.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I watched the last episode of 'The Woman in the Wall' last night, not an easy watch, I gave up on it a coup;le of times, but a nice understated ending. I understand it's based on true stories, thank god for that!
I became convinced a long time ago about the evils the Catholic Church perpetrated, especially in Ireland and have nothing but contempt for the misguided souls who were at the heart of the abuse. How could they ever live with their consciences?
A good friend of mine is a Jesuit Priest and I have talked to him about it. He is as baffled as I am and thoroughly ashamed of the damage to the |Church's wider reputation.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Gloria

Post by Gloria »

Totally agree Stanley. Have you seen the film Philomena? It’s an excellent watch, well worth digging out.
Gloria
Now an Honorary Chief Engineer who'd be dangerous with a brain!!!
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk
http://www.lfhhs.org.uk
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

:good:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Just watched Barbara Knox at 90 - Rita Fairclough from Coronation Street. Hosted by Bradley Walsh. She looked well. Even Blackpool looked well. Enjoyed it more than I thought I would. It was like meeting old friends. I wouldn't dream of watching a minute of the current offering. To her credit this Oldham girl has shunned the limelight since she quit. I approve.

"What is it with me and trams" was a memorable quote. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I know what she means about trams..... :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Stanley wrote: 14 Oct 2023, 01:52 I know what she means about trams..... :biggrin2:
Me too! Who wants to ride in a noisy, vibrating, swaying, clunky tin can of diesel called a bus when you can have a smooth, silent, modern tram? And they're EVs too!
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Tizer wrote: 14 Oct 2023, 09:29 And they're EVs too!
Fortunately not driven by batteries though - so unlikely to catch fire. Though I've never travelled on a modern tram.

The line was delivered whilst buried in the rubble of the Rovers Return, after a tram had fallen off the nearby viaduct onto the pub. Previously her stalker Alan Bradley, had been killed whilst chasing her in a collision with a Blackpool tram.

Like you do. . . . :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The script writers have to find ways of engaging the fans! Emmerdale did it with a plane crash I think.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

I just switched off Antiques Road Show part way through.

That's a first - the BBC agenda which has been gradually ratcheted up over a few years, and is now getting boring, was distracting me from the content. Besides that everyone knows what's valuable now. They have spoiled their own genre. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I switched the telly on just in time for the start of The Sting on Itv4. I still haven't worked out all the twists in the plot...... Very enjoyable still even though I have seen it more times that I could poke a stick at......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

As many of you know, most of my viewing nowadays, apart from a few selected programmes, is in YouTube. Of late there have been more videos coming out of Ukraine and there is one in particular featuring a woman called Marie I think, who lives in the Carpathian Mountains. It is always about her cooking. The conceit is that she lives alone.
Her life is exclusively that of an early 19th century peasant in England, well water, wood for fuel, roots and preserved food stored in cellars.... The only signs there are of any industrial food is the ground spices she uses. It's interesting watching her cook and I reflect that one great advantage she has in her diet is that she consumes absolutely no processed foods. I try to do this in the modern world but it's a constant battle to maintain vigilance.
I suppose this should really have been in the thread 'We are what we eat' but this is where it fell. I find watching her cook is very relaxing.
If you fancy trying Marie out here's the link:-

Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Re the Ukraine lady, Maria…
I’d do it for ‘Batch Cooking’, but not everyday haha.
Different world.
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That's what makes it so compulsive for me Cathy, it's a way of life gone by..... :good:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Stanley wrote: 20 Oct 2023, 04:55 it's a way of life gone by..
Not that long ago though. :smile:

My mother made "rissoles" or burgers as they would be called now almost exactly the same way this lady does - including mincing the beef in a hand mincer. I don't recall minced beef ever being bought.

This type of video is very popular now - I've been seduced by the lady from Vietnam. The quality of the videos and the apparent lack of anywhere to plug your phone or camera puzzles me. Do they have full fibre broadband in the village? There does seem to be some overhead wiring to each shack though. :smile:

The most successful of the genre is surely the Azebaijani chap Tavakkul. This video which I came across last night sheds a bit more light. They say he is worth between 5 and 10 million USD . Wilderness Cooking which is quite staggering. The economics of it all is still a mystery to me though. I watch but having an ad blocker, never see any adverts which are said to fund it all.

PS This is a good time to mention this chap Sabbatical

He is fairly charisma free, but has an amazing talent for languages - including Mandarin Chinese in which he is fluent. He shows you the sides of countries which others don't. Try it. . . :smile:

PS - Just saw his visit to Rwanda. He seems very impressed with the place. Didn't have to pay a bribe to the policeman who stopped him and accusd him of spying. (12:38) :smile: Sounds as if it is routine elsewhere in Africa. Perhaps it is better than being confined on the Bibby Stocholm? Rwanda
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I like Wilderness cooking first because he actually cooks natural ingredients and second because he feeds those kids. I've watched some of them grow up eating his grub.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Anyone watch the Rugby World Cup Final last night? South Africa beat New Zealand.

Strange game these days; The players are pumped up (with steroids?) and freakishly large. The rules are incomprehensible, and I still can't work uut the point of scrums and line outs. The Haka seemed to have been freshly choreographed. Very scary. :smile:

I've never played the game thank gooodness, but I have a vague memory that it wasn't always like this.
Then I came across this and realised I was right. :smile:

Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Rugby was forced upon us at my secondary school, hated it. Much preferred swimming.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Stockport Grammar School played rugby rather than soccer because as they never stopped pointing out to people they were a Public School. My dad had played rugby and was all for me being made into a man by it. Even in those dark days he arranged for me to have plastic lens in my glasses so that I could play. Like Kev I hated it! As with boxing I found the solution was to simply act stupid and they soon got fed up with you stumbling around in the mud.
On the other hand I likes cricket but except for one notable occasion I was never asked to play. On that day they must have been scraping the barrel because I was selected for the House Second (or perhaps third!) team. I took two wickets and scored 15 runs not out, the best performance of any of them. They never asked me again........ :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Gloria

Post by Gloria »

Time, last night on bbc1 was excellent, I believe it’s a three parter, and certainly keeps the concentration. I definitely recommend it.
Gloria
Now an Honorary Chief Engineer who'd be dangerous with a brain!!!
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk
http://www.lfhhs.org.uk
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Agreed Gloria.
Ian
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Very disturbing programme on now about an OCG - Organised Crime Gang called 'Adam' in Rochdale. There is a team of Police on the case - but they look quite inadequate and under resourced to me. The boss (rank Sergeant) has been chasing this gang for ten tears and has yet to jail any of the leaders. I knew Rochdale quite well once - this is very sad. Even the BBC cannot hide the elephant in the room, though they focus on the children being groomed to be runners rather than the principals.

Dramatic raid on top eighteen gang members - CPS say not enough evidence to charge, so all released on bail.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It does make you wonder David if we tie the police hands too much when endeavouring to be fair and proportionate.... But I suppose the alternatives are too draconian and could lead to false arrests..... I'm glad I am not faced with the problem each day......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Part two of three tonight. I've seen the outcome in The Sun - quite inadequate.

No mention of the Main Man in the gang. Thomo was right. . . .
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego

Return to “TV”