TODAY'S PENNINE WEATHER

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: TODAY'S PENNINE WEATHER

Post by Stanley »

The wind got up down here Wendy and was as quirky and violent as ear4lier in the week. It was making the doorknocker on the front door work. That's only the second time I have heard that.....
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Gloria

Post by Gloria »

I woke up once during the night to hear heavy wind, now just a light breeze and clear blue skies.
Gloria
Now an Honorary Chief Engineer who'd be dangerous with a brain!!!
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk
http://www.lfhhs.org.uk
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I've just got back from my shopping trip to the Co-op. They weren't kidding when they forecast a wind chill of -6C, once more, a nithering wind! (Thanks Ian.... :biggrin2: ) Bright and sunny and it could be nice if it wasn't for that wind.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Re: TODAY'S PENNINE WEATHERhttps://www.oneguyfrombarlick.co.uk/images/icons/smile/questio

Post by Tripps »

I'll put this here as it concerns recent wind speed figures, and during Storm Isha, I took an occasional look at Wendy's Wx station at the time of the storm. When 100 mph was being forecast, that showed at max about 50 mph. It's personal to me too, since I worked at Brizlee Wood in Northumberland (when it was a NATO Tropospheric Forward Scatter radio site) for about three years in the 1970's.

From The Conservative Woman blog today.
Don’t be fooled by 99mph wind claims

THE Met Office have been up to their tricks again! The media has been awash with claims that Storm Isha brought 99mph winds, based on Met Office reporting. This time the claim was based on data from Brizlee Wood in Northumberland. Brizlee is no ordinary wood: it is an RAF radar station at the top of an 820ft hill in the middle of the Alnwick Moors, itself a highly exposed area.

Brizlee Wood https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File ... 219040.jpg

As usual, winds at the mountainous and clifftop sites favoured by the Met Office bear no relationship to the rest of the country. A few miles away, at the seaside village of Boulmer, average wind speeds were just 34mph.
Every time we get windy weather, the Met Office report only the places with the strongest gusts. This time, in addition to Brizlee, they listed Capel Curig (half way up a mountain in Snowdonia), the Needles, Shap (800ft) and Salsburgh ( a village at 900ft in the Lanarkshire hills).

Most of these high-altitude stations have been operational only since the 1990s, around the time that automatic weather stations began to appear. Brizlee was opened in 2021, so it is hardly surprising we have never heard of 99mph winds in Northumberland before.

Until a few years ago, the Met Office’s monthly weather reports regularly presented wind speeds in places where people lived. In January 1993, as an example, they told of 89mph in Glasgow, 83mph in Edinburgh and 94mph in Leeds. They did not feel the need to exaggerate winds by using weather stations totally unrepresentative of the rest of the country. Their motivation is clear. They want people to believe our weather is becoming more extreme. They even wheeled out one of their meteorologists on BBC Radio 5 on Monday to claim that the ‘more intense’ storms the UK is experiencing are caused by climate change.

A distinct lack of "historicity" I'd say. I suspect (nay - I'm sure) that in this matter, and others, we are being deliberately deceived. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Tripps, we were sheltered from the south westerly winds earlier in the week, our neighbours across the valley measured wind speeds 10mph faster than us. Last night they didn't catch that huge gust. I'm a fan of the North Yorkshire Weather Updates facebook page they look at Weather stations across the county....frightens me to death!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

David, I'm not sure what point exactly Conservative Woman are making. Whatever it is it's obvious they either know nothing about scientific method or they are mischievously trying to sow doubt. Yes, the highest wind speeds they give are from the most exposed weather stations but that doesn't matter, it's the comparisons in values that give the trends that matters.
Yesterday afternoon was as per the forecast, dry and with a horrendous wind chill despite the wind being southerly. At 20:00 it was still breezy and cold but dry. This morning first thing it was the same and the overcast was broken giving us a good moon but veiled by ragged thin cloud. It's still the same. The glass rose all day yesterday and this morning is on 1026mb. The forecast is for us to have a dry but overcast day with perhaps some breaks in the cloud this morning. The constant moderate SW wind gives us a high of 7C and a low of 4C tonight with a wind chill of -4C all day. The six day outlook is for warmer and more overcast weather with rain on Monday and Wednesday.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

IMG_1581.png
We have just had 2 days of 24C. Very nice, but temps are heating up again.
UV Index 12 - Extreme. Humidity 51%.
No rain expected in next 10 days.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday stayed dry but that wind was cold, you needed to be wrapped up warm if you went out. At 20:00 it was still breezy , overcast and dry. That's how it is this morning and the glass is down on 1017mb. The forecast is for a dry overcast day with a chance of sunny intervals at times. The constant moderate SW wind gusts to 35mph and gives us a high of 19C and a low of 6C with a -3C wind chill all day. The outlook is for similar weather but perhaps slightly cooler, expect rain tomorrow.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I've just sat down. I've been a good lad and had a walk and a sit at the end of Albert Road. A cold wind but OK if you were as well wrapped up as I was. Now for a bit of dinner and then very little actually!
I hope the rest of you are keeping warm and having a good day.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Gloria

Post by Gloria »

We’ve had a walk and it wasn’t too cold, still fine and no breeze to speak of.
Gloria
Now an Honorary Chief Engineer who'd be dangerous with a brain!!!
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk
http://www.lfhhs.org.uk
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

The puzzle continues - :smile:

The BBC are reporting a record warm day for January in Scotland Hot in Scot

Whilst down in Grimethorpe - Sarah (she's a bit of an acquired taste :smile: ) can't stop saying how cold she is. Sarah in Grimethorpe
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

These South winds are doing funny things to the climate at the moment David, Scotland is unseasonably warm further south we aren't so lucky. But Scotland is paying for it with the strength of the winds in the far North!
Yesterday afternoon stayed dry and at 20:00 it was still dry but overcast. This morning first thing we had a light breeze and evidence of a shower during the night but dry. It hasn't changed since. The glass is up on 1016mb. The forecast is clear and simple, a yellow warning for heavy rain starting any time now and persisting until 05:00 tomorrow. The wind will shortly settle into a constant light ENE and will give us a high of 6C and a low of 4C tonight with up to -4C wind chill. The outlook is for the weather to be slightly warmer but less rain from tomorrow on.
Later.... It started raining at about 05:00.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It's nice to sit down! I am just back from a cold and wet veggie shop in Town Square. I've put everything away and have a hot drink so I'll soon recover. Hard;y anybody about out there and who can blame them?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It is my considered opinion that it might get to rain later....... :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday it rained all day. It was raining at 20:00. It was still raining first thing this morning. I have just had a look and it is still raining now. The glass is steady on 1015mb. The Met Office forecast is for the rain to stop by 05:00 and for the overcast to break by late morning and give us a sunny afternoon. From 05:00 onwards the wind is a constant light westerly that gives us a high of 6C and a low of 2C tonight with a wind chill that will reach -4C when the wind is at its strongest. The outlook is for milder weather and with only scattered light showers as we move into February.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday it stayed dry! At 20:00 we had a breeze, it was dry and the sky was clear. First thing this morning it was the same but since then we have got overcast. The glass had risen and is on 1025mb but tending to fall. The forecast is for an overcast day and heavy rain to come in as it gets dark late this afternoon. The SW wind is constant and brisk increasing during the day with gusts of 45mph as the rain band comes in later. We can expect a high of 8C and a low of 3C tonight with a wind chill up to -5C for most of the day. The outlook is for similar weather for the next six days.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Mags

Post by Mags »

Cathy, get ready for some hot weather. We are on our 2nd day of 40 Degrees plus at the moment it is 42 degrees..........
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Susan told me this morning that it was hot, hot, hot!
Yesterday afternoon followed the forecast exactly, heavy rain started just before 16:00 It was still raining at 20:00. First thing this morning we had a light breeze and a clear sky, It was cool bur dry. It is still the same and the glass is up on 1025mb and still rising. The forecast is for a dry day but mostly overcast. Perhaps just a chance of sunny intervals this morning. The WSW wind will be moderate and gusts to almost 35mph this afternoon. We will have a high of 6C and a low of 5C tonight with a wind chill up to -5C during the day.The six day outlook is for milder weather accompanied perhaps by rain.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I've not been out except to put trash in the bin. I have just finished cooking next week's veggies. Pans put away, hob cleaned and 4 pans of veggies in the fridge. Always a good feeling when it's all done!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday afternoon was dry but with a sharp wind chill. At 20:00 it was calm and dry. Hard to see but I think we have a light overcast this morning, it is breezy and still dry. The glass has fallen a touch to 1024mb. The forecast is for a misty start to the day and light rain starting late morning. The constant WSW wind will be brisk and gusts all day to 40mph. We will have a high of 10C and a low of 8C tonight with a wind chill of -4C for the greater part of the day. The outlook is for more weather like today, breezy, mild and overcast with some rain. This is good weather for our winter!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I got away with dry weather for my walk up to the doctor's at 11:00. I got my bloods taken and had fish and chips for dinner sat in in the Square with my two great grandchildren, Kahara and lily who are lovely well behaved children. There were three ladies sat near us and they all said they'd take them home. I'm back home now and in the warm.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday afternoon settled in to wet and windy and it was like that at 19:00 when I went to bed. First thing this morning it was dry but very blustery, we still have that wind. I have checked and there is no change, still dry and breezy. The glass is down on 1019mb and the forecast is for a shower around 6 or 7AM and then a dry day with sunny intervals. The constant west wind starts brisk, gusting to 40mph and gradually eases throughout the day but remains blustery. Our high will be 8C and the low tonight 5C with a -4C wind chill all day. The outlook is for similar temperatures but more rain on Tuesday and Thursday and then cooling down a bit. This is not bad winter weather! We are doing well.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

IMG_1612.png
Hot weekend, definitely aircon weather if cooking indoors.
Sunrise 6.37am. Sunset 8.21pm.
Visibility 32km. Pressure 1,009hPa.
It’s just hit 34C… aircon is on 😓
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Very similar to Perth Cathy.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The rain came in at 0600 and has left us now, exactly as per the forecast. It's breezy bright and cool out there. A walk? Don't know, it's nice and warm in here!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Seasons”