THE LOMAX FAMILY FROM BARLICK

Thomo

THE LOMAX FAMILY FROM BARLICK

Post by Thomo »

Most of us are familiar with the expression, "A persons life in a carrier bag". I am the present guardian of such a bag, it has arrived here by a diverse route from Canada. Most of its content is about Mr Frank Lomax who was born at No, 8 Townhead Barnoldswick in 1908 and later became a citizen of Canada. Frank died last year and a degree in maths is not required to work out that that he lived to a great age, 103 years old. So how has it arrived here with me. When Frank died, his friend David Burt collected all items that may interest a possible family member and went online. First of all "Barlick History Society" then to Ken Ranson, who then contacted me, this due to the WW1 research I am working on, as Franks Father, John Lomax served his country and survived. There is not much in the bag about John, but there are his medals and something neither Panbiker or I have ever seen before, a silver badge with the inscription, "For services rendered to King and country" and its presentation certificate. John Lomax was born in Blackburn in 1885 and as a cotton weaver moved to Barlick sometime after 1901, here he met and married Annie Proctor of Colne Rd, and they set up home at No, 8 Townhead. In 1905 their first son Alvin was born to be followed in 1908 by Frank. John enlisted into the Army on the 2nd of June 1916 and was discharged having been wounded on the 7th of August 1919. Their next move was to Canada and I have now to try and find out when, a search for a living relative only turned up one person who was not interested so I am doing this to see if we can find one who is.Yet there is more to it than just that, I have photographs, family mementos, all manner of certificates including Franks original Birth certificate and certificate of Canadian citizenship, congratulations from Her Majesty the Queen, the Governor General and the Prime Minister of Canada and other MPs, all of these items I will scan or photograph and include here in due course, and there are newspaper items as well. So if any of you think that you have a connection to the Lomax family, please put it here.
Thomo. RN Retired, but not regretted!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: THE LOMAX FAMILY FROM BARLICK

Post by Stanley »

Peter, Look at Horace Thornton's transcripts in the LTP 79/AD/10, page two and 79/AD/12, Page seven. Maurice Lomax was a taper at Victoria Mill in 1947, he finished in that year and Hortace took over.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

Overnight I received a mail from Canada, attached was a copy of the Eulogy read out at Franks funeral, I was going to precis it but on reading, its better as it is:-

Frank Lomax
Funeral – April 8, 2011
Eulogy by Val Croswell, long time friend of Frank Lomax

After a lifetime of almost 103 years, our friend, Frank Lomax reached his goal Tuesday morning and left this earth. Frank was translated into the presence of God in Heaven!

If you ever took time to ask him, Frank liked to reminisce about his first 12 years in Yorkshire, England.

He recalled happy times, playing in the streets of Barnoldswick, attending school and spending family times with relatives.

On the occasion of Frank’s 92nd birthday, Margaret (Val’s wife) and I taped an interview of Frank’s life. These details were all provided by an instant response to my questions. Some of that story I wish to share with your today.

Never to see England again, Frank, his brother Alvin and their parents boarded the Steam Ship Melitta, at Liverpool, England on July 9, 1920. After being sea sick in steerage for 9 days, they disembarked at Quebec City on Sunday morning into a quarantine area for immigration clearance. Later that day, all their possessions were transferred to a train for Montreal and they transferred there to another train for Toronto.

They stayed at “The Newcomers Inn”, sponsored by the Salvation Army for two days, while searching for work. Finding none, they again boarded a train for the West. Disembarking in Saskatchewan, Frank’s father found temporary jobs on railroad construction and harvesting. Working opportunities were not available to them, and in the Spring of 1923, this family again took a train back to Hamilton, Ontario.

Father had developed Parkinson’s Disease, leaving him weak on one side. Various jobs were had in Hamilton for two years and it became impossible for father to hold a job. The family heard of homesteading opportunities in Northern Ontario.

(Now remember… all these details are forthcoming in “automatic fashion” from a 92 year old gentlemen..)

In the Spring of 1926, this family crated up all their goods and came by train to North Bay, and the next day they did secure a homestead farm behind Redbridge, for $.50 per acre!

Again, they transferred their belongings back into a train and got off at Widdifield Station, North of John and Barb Lott’s place. From there, they walked into Songis, a distance of approximately 10 miles. There was no road past the North River and they walked in by a trail.

The previous tenant had built a shell of a house, but it had do doors or windows. He decided to desert the place because of the black flies and mosquitoes!

Finally the Lomax family had a home of their own! Father, by this time, was unable to perform any physical labour, and it was “up to the boys” now! They had to secure wood to burn for winter and clear some land for a garden. That winter of 1927, Alvin and Frank cut wood for the J.R. Booth Lumber Company along the Balsam Creek area. This turned out to be the last winter operation of that famous company. The boys earned $35 for a 6 day week of work!

The boys had to perform all the work at the farm, such as: clearing land, building the barn and out buildings, fencing, sowing and harvesting crops, and attending to the cows and horses.

The depression came in 1929 – work opportunities ceased. The family had to “go on relief.” This was something very distasteful for many folks because it meant you could not support yourself. In those times, this was a disgraceful situation. Later on the Government made “relief work” available, such as road improvements. Frank showed me some of the roads he had the privilege of working on. These were hard times … something not many of us here today know much about. But through it all, “the farm” proved out to be the best place to be in a depression.

Our Lomax family must have been a frugal bunch: in 1932, they managed to buy a new Ferguson tractor. This allowed much more production off the farm. This tractor was Frank’s only vehicle he drove. In 1950 Alvin became the owner of a new Ford ½ ton truck. With all their effort, the boys managed to clear 45 acres and maintain a potato and turnip garden that kept them alive each winter.

Father died in 1954 and mother in 1957 and the boys worked the farm until 1983, when they sold the place. They both retired into North Bay, and Alvin died in 1987.

Was Frank blessed with a photographic memory? I have never encountered a memory like his! Many years ago, I tried to recall how long I had known Frank, but I could not. So I asked Frank. He immediately told me the month and date my parents had taken me to his farm! The exact date! A similar event occurred a year later for my sister, and she had to ask Frank. Again came an immediate response for the exact date he met her at his farm. Most persons would have to stop, figure it out and then guess. Not Frank – he could pull facts, like that “out of the air.”

And so it was, throughout his life. Frank could tell you minute details as to town names, person’s names, who they were related to, dates and even the time of day, for the family events back in England, to settling in Canada, to living in Songis.

His life changed drastically in North Bay. He outlived 2 spouses and was able to recall all names, ages, birthdays and relationships of both families. The Lord preserved this ability right up ‘til 2009.

While Frank stayed at Barclay (Retirement) House, many residents thought he was unable to speak, because he was so quiet. In such a situation, I often asked Frank a leading question while in a group situation, and they were astounded to hear Frank “carry on” with his story.

In his last years at Eastholme Nursing Home, Frank became discouraged by his physical deterioration. When I asked him about his life in England, he would refer to his photo albums which were full of photos from that era of his life.

Several time he tried to figure out who were in the photos, but he found it difficult and “too hard.” He did experience much joint pain, and it was hard for him to move his limbs, as they stiffened up. He considered himself to be deaf, blind and useless and felt like he was only a burden to others and he wished he “could go!”

On my last attempt to identify the photos (none were labeled) I moved Frank into a room with many windows and tables and fluorescent lights. Sure enough, under the right conditions, Frank was not blind, not deaf. He really enjoyed the album and he identified everyone and told me their relationship to him and the events shown. I could not write fast enough to keep up with him at age 101.

Frank particularly enjoyed a car ride out to Songis to see “the farm” again! The present owner, who lived nearby, usually spotted us as we prowled around the place and he would oblige Frank by allowing him to go inside the house. This pleased Frank very much, because the “little house” was just like he left it in 1983 - tidy and clean – anyone could live there immediately!

Many of you, here today, played a part in Frank’s life. He noticed that and spoke of your kindness and care – often. Special thanks to Harold Fiss for many years “adopting” Frank, and Annette Buchanan at Eastholme.

Frank was my “oldest friend.” We went back to 1956 together.

He was a fine Christian, who appreciated his Lord.

He was a gentle man.

It is nice to be here today, among his friends, who have come to honor him.
Gloria

Post by Gloria »

Wow, that's the only thing I think describes this story. Wow. Thanks for sharing it Thomo.
Gloria
Now an Honorary Chief Engineer who'd be dangerous with a brain!!!
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk
http://www.lfhhs.org.uk
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

These are the medals and badge "For services rendered to King and Country" awarded to Private John Lomax, No 42425 of the Northumberland Fusiliers.

Presentation certificate for Johns War Badge.

Thomo

Post by Thomo »

The SS Melita is the Ship that took the Lomax family to Canada in 1920.

Thomo

Post by Thomo »

The birth certificate of Frank Lomax, born Townhead Barlick 1908.

Return to “Local History Topics”