FORGOTTEN CORNERS

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Re: FORGOTTEN CORNERS

Post by PanBiker »

It is indeed Kev, called Elmers corner because the shop next door (now the carpet shop) was Elmers Chemist run by John's dad Josh. I think the Chemist closed first when Johns dad retired, John kept the ironmongers going for some time before the large DIY chains took their toll. Not sure of the year when he finally closed though. You could get everything form ironmongery to garden supplies. The town had two more as well. One on the corner of Church Street and St Jame's where the Chinese is now and Pilkington's halfway along Albert Road. Best place for Airfix kits when I was lad, always on display in the side window. All the shops seemed to smell of paraffin and peat.
Ian
elise

Post by elise »

The gentleman who has Redmans on Church Street took quite a lot of John Elmer's stock, he can sell you anything from a pound of bacon to a lump hammer.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That shop fascinates me. It's a time warp and one wonders how it survives. I see that the building is up for sale as an investment, I think John still owns it.

Wellhouse corner in 1982 before B&P shop was demolished. Historically there had always been some small businesses on the corner, a stone masons and at one time a heald knitter as well. For many years the Showman's Association had the spare land and it was used as the venue for the annual funfair. I've never seen any mention of them owning it in the CHSC minutes but they certainly had a firm arrangement for many years.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

What used to be Stanley's Crumpets off Wellhouse Road next to the old sidings. Now converted to a dwelling.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

minimiller

Post by minimiller »

Stanley's Crumpets, now that reminds me of a tale..............

My buddy Mick McKimm and the crumpet shops owners son borrowed the firms van once to go for a night out.
Afterwards they decided to have a kip in the aforementioned vehicle.
During the night a policeman came shining his torch through the window, asking them who they were.
"Are you Stanley"? ask the copper
"No, I'm crumpet" replied the lad

I think he got a thick ear for his cheek and they were told to "get on their way"

I don't know if it was the truth or not but it made me laugh at the time.
Mick
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Up to the usual site standards Mick!

This hose on Wellhouse Road between the fire station and Wellhouse Street had some expensive planters in the garden. They vanished a while since.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Ken and Ern's on the corner of Frank Street and Rainhall Road. 1983.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Rainhall Road in 1901
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Newton Pickles and the Fort Brothers taking a break in 1979 during heavy repairs to the queen Street engine at Harle Syke.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Refurb of what is now the taxi office in Station Road in 1979. It was in bad repair and I bought it for £300, spent £600 on it and sold it for the cost plus expenses. It saved it and it's been in use ever since.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

These distinctive buildings in Church Street are part of the legacy of good buildings left to us by Matthew Hartley who built the Majestic.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Woo Hoo, I'm famous or at least immortalised in one of Stanleys pictures, I think that's me looking in Harry Garlicks window!
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

You could be right....

Another Hartley building, the Occasion in Newtown built in 1906.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Nolic

Post by Nolic »

Lovely building . Nice wide pavement for roller skating round as a kid... it was great fun. Nolic
"I'm a self made man who worships his creator." Image
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Oh! it's not me after all didn't look close enough, don't use a stick. Last picture was the Army and Navy Store when I was a lad, you went downstairs to try stuff on in a corner between the piles of stuff. I got a pair of Varlson purple and black striped jeans in the late 60's, thought I was "the dogs's ...". You had to go to Skipton Army and Navy to get proper shrink to fit Levi's.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Hard luck Ian....

James Slater and family dining at Bank House. Date unknown, 1910?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

David Whipp

Post by David Whipp »

I spent many happy hours as a lad playing in the grounds of the derelict Bank House - the building itself was of course haunted! From where I'm sat I can see the site of the old building.

After it was demolished, Briggs and Duxbury used the land to tip demolition rubble from one of Barlick's chapels.

The new owner of the site is currently digging through the rubble and clearing the land.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Coates in about 1905. Bank House to the right of the chimney. Coates mill chimney just visible on the right as well.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

David Whipp

Post by David Whipp »

These are the granite setts below the bitmac on Newtown. I took this picture when the road was planed off for surfacing in, I think, 2002.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Billy Brooks (see LTP, AB series of tapes) lived on Newtown when the job was done in about 1903. He said they were the first setts in Barlick and another source told me that the first lot were put down by French paviors. The trade name for the fan shaped pattern is 'Durex'. Billy said that the local carters hated the setts, they were very slippy compared to the dry macadam roads. Notice that the setts are small and appear to be granite so not local. They must have been brought into the town and I wonder if the reference to 'French Paviors' refers to the trade name for the setts?
The pic below is of the setts in Hill Street. Far bigger, grit-stone and almost certainly from Tubber Hill. Hill Street is peculiar as it is the only street I know of in Barlick that has concrete paving on the flat and setts on the slope.

Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

The rise from Skipton Road onto St James and the Croft is similar Stanley although it's tarmac on the flat not concrete.
Ian
David Whipp

Post by David Whipp »

PanBiker wrote:The rise from Skipton Road onto St James and the Croft is similar Stanley although it's tarmac on the flat not concrete.
I'm not old enough to know about the Hill Street setts, but was involved with St James Road.

The setts on St James Road were included as part of the scheme when the road was 'made up' and adopted (in the 1980s?). They were put in for aesthetic and traffic calming reasons. Before it was made up, it was a rocky road which looked a right mess right in the middle of Barlick.
hartley353

Post by hartley353 »

Nolic wrote:Lovely building . Nice wide pavement for roller skating round as a kid... it was great fun. Nolic
Barlick was a great place for skates, lovely stone flags on Wellhouse Road we could get up a good speed on the downhill past Boltons decorators.
hartley353

Post by hartley353 »

David Whipp wrote:I spent many happy hours as a lad playing in the grounds of the derelict Bank House - the building itself was of course haunted! From where I'm sat I can see the site of the old building.

After it was demolished, Briggs and Duxbury used the land to tip demolition rubble from one of Barlick's chapels.

The new owner of the site is currently digging through the rubble and clearing the land.
When we were children there was a rumour that there were family burials in the cellars, and we would dare each other to stay down there on our own.
hartley353

Post by hartley353 »

All the ballast on the Barlick branch line used to be granite, often wondered where it came from, maybe it was spoil from one of the railway tunnels, which were often carved through granite.

Return to “Local History Topics”