BARNOLDSWICK WAR MEMORIAL RE-DEDICATION

Thomo

Re: BARNOLDSWICK WAR MEMORIAL RE-DEDICATION

Post by Thomo »

Another "Well done everybody" from a newly arrived member of the community. He couldn't understand how this small understated town could come up with a Spitfire in the morning and a show of such magnitude in the afternoon!! Also apparently impressed by the "Barlick Beach". This town may be in "No Mans Land", but it still has a heart.
Thomo. RN Retired, but not regretted!
Travis

Post by Travis »

The Grave of H Barter who died on the Rohilla and is buried in Worcester.

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Thomo wrote:I think that it needs to be understood that I didn't do what was done for the glory, or social gain, and I am sure that Ian would say the same, Something needed to be put right, and it has been.
Just got back from holiday and catching up on the threads. I will reiterate what Thomo posted above. From my point of view I don't consider the job quite finished yet.

Family matters intervened which meant I had to abandon my research in 1946, after the cessation of hostilities of the Second World War. It is my intention to continue at some point in the future and check for local losses in all the subsequent conflicts. This is likely to be something that will take some time to complete but will be worked through in stages when time, family and work commitments permit.
Ian
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

I agree with Ian, this could be a never ending task. In the book, I keep having a look at WW2 as I am rapidly approaching this event, this has thrown up another possible missing name, I won't post this until I am sure. It would be nice to be recognised for what has already been achieved, but it is not why we did it. To have it put forward in public, is a bit like a slap in the face, and I will quote this:- "He who expects nothing, is not disappointed when that is what he receives".
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

I believe that it is now time to sign this topic off. The job is done for now and a satisfactory conclusion achieved. Today I found this comment on an obscure website whilst looking for something else:-

"Broughton and his brother Albert's names are going to appear on Barnoldswick's war memorial when it is re-dedicated next month, congratulations go to all in Barlick for their hard work on this".

This of course refers to the two Abbott Brothers.

A new topic will now take its place, and this concerns next years WW1 Centenary, and what we hope to do here in good old Barlick.

Over and out.

Return to “Local History Topics”