Pennine Bus Company Demise

Sunray10
Regular User

Pennine Bus Company Demise

Post by Sunray10 »

With the sad demise of Pennine buses of Skipton & Gargrave, what do OGFB members think of this great loss of this well-respected local bus company which began back in the 1920s. Do you think Transdev B & P have too much power over other smaller bus companies and are pushing them out of the transport network in Pendle and Craven. What are Your views on this sad issue :sad:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Pennine Bus Company Demise

Post by Stanley »

Inevitable in today's financial and regulatory climate. I bought Johnny's 1956 lathe from his widow many years ago.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
David Whipp

Post by David Whipp »

It's a shame.

The current owner was reported as blaming North Yorkshire's miserly rate of recompense for concessionary fares as well as competition.
chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

I loved the orange and black buses and used them to travel to Ingleton in the sixties. To me they were part of the Dales. Sorry to hear they have gone.
Sunray10
Regular User

Post by Sunray10 »

So maybe we should "not" blame Transdev too much, although they do run buses in the same areas as Pennine and on the same routes, apart from to Gargrave and Settle. Who, then, will take over these routes that Pennine leave behind - maybe Transdev, D& G, or another small company called 'Moving People'. I have already noticed Moving People mini buses :surprised: on their way to Colne stopping at mainline bus stops, which they did not do before :confused: Some other company, perhaps.
David Whipp

Post by David Whipp »

Burnley and Pendle have said they'll improve their services through to Skipton. (I look forward to having regularly spaced services rather than two buses playing leapfrog...)

I remember Norman Simpson telling me in the 1980's that he wasn't interested in operating subsidised routes (which I thought was a bit shortsighted). After de-regulation, Pennine extended their services through to Burnley well before Transdev went to Skipton.

Rather than the free for all following de-regulation in 1985, it would have been better for a decent level of services to be set for an area and franchise out the operation of the routes.

One good thing from de-regulation was the ability to set up the new 'round the houses' routes with smaller buses. I was the transport spokesman for our group when we had the balance of power at county hall between 1985 and 1989 and used my influence to get services set up in Barlick and Colne (amongst other places). Almost 30 years later, and these routes are still providing a good service.
Sunray10
Regular User

Post by Sunray10 »

Well said David. Yes, I know you have worked hard over the years and got things done. I expect things will get sorted out, in one way or another, after Pennine have gone. I do feel sorry for those bus drvers, though. Lets hope they can get driving for other companies. Maybe Transdev will take on some of them for the routes through Craven - after all they know their way about that area.
Sunray10
Regular User

Post by Sunray10 »

This, sadly, says it all http://www.pennine-bus.co.uk/
Sunray10
Regular User

Post by Sunray10 »

Well folks here it is the final day and the final few hours before Pennine buses of Skipton and Gargrave ceases to be. :sad: I understand 19 drivers will lose their jobs after today, and the famous Orange and Black buses will disappear from our roads. The famous buses that are Dennis Dart Plaxton Pointers will bite the dust, unless another local bus company can do something with them. Maybe some buy-out by another bus company in Craven? Who knows. I have taken to these buses over the past month or so, and have enjoyed riding on them between Nelson and Skipton. So good luck to them and they will be forever in our thoughts. Let me just say I have found the drivers to be very friendly and courteos at all times - always with a cheerio and thankyou, see you again.
Sunray10
Regular User

Post by Sunray10 »

Pennine bus garage on Broughton Road, Skipton. Image

Return to “General Miscellaneous Chat & Gossip”